According to CBSNews.com, Facebook alone had over 700 million users who spend about 750 billion minutes on the site per month. Twitter reported over 360 million users just a few years ago. As of early 2012, LinkedIn has recorded over 140 million users on their professional network and in 2017–YouTube reported 1.7 billion active users. The list goes on and on with Social Media sites that are attracting activity and opportunities alike.
This social media platform is continuing to trend upward at a rapid rate and job seekers must adjust if they want to stay competitive in the world of viral videos, global vlogs, and millennial rock stars dominating the space. The social media savvy job seekers are the professional who match up well with the new age employers. Those job seekers who are familiar with Social Media tactics and networks, find employment at a faster rate than those who are not.
Over 80% of todays stakeholders use social media for recruiting personnel. A large portion of these new age employers have found success using sites such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. In fact, more companies are investing time and budget on social media recruiting in 2012 than any previous years.
Other Social Media job seeking facts:
- Over 92% of active hiring managers used social media networks for recruiting.
- LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter are the big social media platforms utilized by active hiring managers and job seekers.
- Companies are planning to spend more marketing dollars on Social Media awareness, recruiting and branding.
- Less money is being spent on Job Board services compared to Social Media outlets.
Social Media is the future of the job seeker-employer networking process. Here are 8 tips to help you better understand how to use social media networks to improve your chances of finding employment:
- Attend Social Media workshops, seminars and training courses to get acclimated with using social media networking as a job search tool.
- Identify which social media platform is the best fit for your expertise. For example, LinkedIn may be great for Telecom Professionals. Google+ may be better suited for Software Developers. YouTube would be a better fit for Business Development or Sales Executives. Try them all and track the success on each one.
- Create a buzz using Social Media audio and videos. (Create a website, blog or vlog, video resume or audio presentation to share on your social sites) Drive the employer traffic to you. Show your future employers that you are employable. That is critical.
- Refrain from religious and political views when using social media networks to find employment. Remember to separate church and state when on the employment campaign trail.
- Join conversations in user groups and on Blogs. Show employers how excited you are about participating in professional dialog within your profession.
- Make a connection with professionals who are employed by one of your targeted companies. Go on a fact finding mission and get the in and outs of the firm. You could uncover information on hiring freeze, hiring initiatives, hiring managers contacts and what road blocks to avoid.
- Become a resource for information on the social media sites. Blog, contribute to blogs and show your value added expertise. Everyone has expertise in something.
- Market to someone each day. There is a job out there waiting for the right person. Social media allows job seekers the ability to find those opportunities quicker.
Remember, in todays social climate–you have no one to blame for your inability to make a connection but yourself. I predict that new platforms are going to force more professionals to be visual. Soon you won’t be able to do anything without focusing on the impact to social media. Think of it this way–if there are billions of people on the planet and YouTube has 1.6 billion active users, how many people could you connect with over a 5 year period? Chew on that for a second…So if you’re seriously looking for a job, there too many ways to skin a cat in 2018. Loose the fear of technology, stop procrastinating, and start connecting.
The world is waiting on you. Now go Dominate The Day!